Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Prayers


I carefully burned
these certain words,
as I was taught,
onto one leaf at a time.
And once I saw that my leaf
was similar enough to the others,
I permitted myself to drop each one.
To watch them float down,
down, down out of sight.


Straight down, no Wind.


Soon my leaf crafting got better.
I was able to do a few at a time,
change the wording here or there.
Scattering them into the air,
I was amused at my new abilities.
I knew these would eventually
invoke the presence of the Wind.


But after a while I became anxious.
Where was this Wind?
I built up big piles of leaves
just so I could run at them


and kick them off.


Maybe a little emotion
could create some motion.
At some point I realized
you can't throw leaves very far,
though you can exhaust your arms trying.
They will go about as far
no matter how hard you throw.

Now I just sit at the edge



Sometimes,
staring through tears,
toward the horizon,
I shuffle off a few leaves,
without watching them fall.

They have no words.


Other times,
I pick up one leaf
and scrutinize it.
I run my gaze
up and down its maze
of veins
before launching it off
with a burst of disdain.


They have no words.


And one day,
I will lose my balance,
and slip off this cliff.
I can only hope that when I do,
there will be enough leaves to break my fall.

6 comments:

AdamBam said...

Intense and beautiful. Keep going.

Sarah said...

Jacob...this is beautiful....

where did you find this? did you write this?

Yard said...

thanks you two - yes, I wrote it.

averyrayne said...

So beautifully melancholy... but now I'm a little depressed. Where's my tidy little happy ending dangit? ;)

Justin @LIA said...

Love it and love you. I think there is even more to the analogy, I'm not smart enough to know what, but it seems like there is depth here that I don't even understand...

Anonymous said...

its Chris H.

Read this again and really liked it. The end is so good. You're as deep as that cliff.