Saturday, July 18, 2009

Time

What an odd thing this is.  So constant, so silent, so driving.  I'm becoming fascinated with this thing I've always taken for granted.

On one hand it's ruthless, allowing none to escape its eventual fatal grasp.  On the other it provides perspective, healing, peace.  It provides the reference for rhythms that become music, and it's a canvas on which seasons are splashed.  Try as we might, we cannot slow it nor hurry it.

It provides the logic by which one event is able to happen after another.  This never changes or reverses.  And once those two events are related this way, they are always and forever set in stone.  She's an endless zipper, consistently bringing events together never to be separated.  We can only hope peer back at them through the blurry lenses of memory.

However, there are problems with the way we understand entropy, such as whether our universe is closed or open, and it freaks me out a bit to be honest.  We can't fully or physically explain why time has an unchanging direction, highlighting the "now" that defines all of our collective consciousness' at once. 

Isn't weird that when we try to grasp even the most basic of principles, such as time, we open our hands and find that they have escaped our understanding, albeit more narrowly each time?  This is a pillar for me in my faith: that God is and has created things that are out of our grasp.

3 comments:

maventheavenger aka jamie said...

It's freaking me out a little too.

Sarah said...

dude. profound. blog more, okay?

Yard said...

Thanks Sarah, that means a lot to me. There's an expressive side to me that I never feel I give enough *time to. Yet it is deeply therapeutic. I think I'll have to just make time, no?