Friday, October 17, 2008

Life is a highway

Yeah, thanks Mr. Cochrane. I drive so much my life is a highway. Specifically it's the 101, or as I like to call it, THE PUNISHER.

So, I've been going easy on the gas for a while (easy on the acceleration, to be more exact). I was averaging 29-30 mpg's before I started and now .... wait for it.... I'm up to 35 mpg's!

Hardly the 45 mpg's I was hoping for. But here are some stats, based just on deciding to drive easier:

Length since last post...45 days (boo!)
~ 50 miles/day = 2990 miles (did I mention I have a hefty commute....also boo)
Based on my average price of $3.30/gallon

Gas saved/45 days = 14.2 gallons
$ saved/45 days= $46.99

Gas saved/year = 115.5 gallons
$ saved/year = $381.11

I guess driving like a grandma pays off. Next steps:

1) Uber-inflate tires








2) Remove the front license plate cover (it's like an inverse parachute)












3) Remove the roof rack bars (weight*aerodynamics + don't use it anyway = why not?)

I'm sure those 3 combined will only save 6.113 drops of fuel over the course of the glaciers melting; but hey, it'll only take me a minute!

1 comment:

maventheavenger aka jamie said...

yay! Those are some awesome savings.