Saturday, March 22, 2008

Acts of the Apostles 3

Okay, so after much more study into commentaries, etc., I find that my initial observation does fall in line with what the general published scholars believe regarding Acts 1:11; that this is most likely referring to the 'second coming'. Heh....I suppose I got ahead of myself. Yet another surprise.

However, what has been a perspective shift for me, summarized in my first post, continues. In fact, the shift could be said in another way: I'm being given the 'opportunity' to dive deeper into the text through my class at HIU. I probably wouldn't consort the wide variety of texts that I am now, unless directed to do so by a professor. I wouldn't read text over and over, noting differences between common translations. I wouldn't strive for a deeper understanding. I'd like to say that I would, but I just don't. My reading and treatment of scripture has been somewhat shallow, overall. I have not developed the habits that I think make scripture actually worth reading. With historical and textual contexts available, the words start to jump off the page...said yet another way, I desire to begin studying the Bible, not just simply reading it. So class is good for something other than taking your $, I suppose? I digress....

So....Moses and Elijah, in Acts...why the reference? What can we learn from their inclusion?

Let's look at the similar events in these three mens' lives: the end of their ministry. How did Moses and Elijah depart? What happened just before, and just after?

Their work here on earth physically ended at some point, as Jesus' has here in the beginning of Acts. These three were considered prophets, each with his own unique attributes, with of course Jesus being much more than a prophet. However, as a prophet, his teaching and leading in a physical sense comes to a close. The first readers of Acts would have seen the parallels Luke was getting at here, because of the knowledge and reverence they had for their spiritual forefathers. Unfortunately, not being Jewish, I again don't share this.

Moses:

The end of the reign of Moses as patriarch of the Jews is accounted in Deut. 34:1-12.

1. Now Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the LORD showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan,
2. and all Naphtali and the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah as far as the western sea,
3. and the Negev and the plain in the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, as far as Zoar.
4. Then the LORD said to him, "This is the land which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, `I will give it to your descendants'; I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not go over there."
5. So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
6. And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.
7. Although Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died, his eye was not dim, nor his vigor abated.
8. So the sons of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days; then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses came to an end.
9. Now Joshua the son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; and the sons of Israel listened to him and did as the LORD had commanded Moses.
10. Since that time no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,
11. for all the signs and wonders which the LORD sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants, and all his land,
12. and for all the mighty power and for all the great terror which Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.



One could gather from certain clues (i.e. the order of events), that Moses' departure was necessary for Joshua to receive the spirit of wisdom. This is of course not explicitly stated. However, verse 9 gives the impression that there was a transfer of power, and that the people now took orders from Joshua, as they had once done from Moses.

Earlier in Deuteronomy, also shows this transition of power, from Moses to Joshua (3:21-29):

21. "I commanded Joshua at that time, saying, `Your eyes have seen all that the LORD your God has done to these two kings; so the LORD shall do to all the kingdoms into which you are about to cross.
22. `Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you.'
23. "I also pleaded with the LORD at that time, saying,
24. `O Lord GOD, You have begun to show Your servant Your greatness and Your strong hand; for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do such works and mighty acts as Yours?
25. `Let me, I pray, cross over and see the fair land that is beyond the Jordan, that good hill country and Lebanon.'
26. "But the LORD was angry with me on your account, and would not listen to me; and the LORD said to me, `Enough! Speak to Me no more of this matter.
27. `Go up to the top of Pisgah and lift up your eyes to the west and north and south and east, and see it with your eyes, for you shall not cross over this Jordan.
28. `But charge Joshua and encourage him and strengthen him, for he shall go across at the head of this people, and he will give them as an inheritance the land which you will see.'
29. "So we remained in the valley opposite Beth-peor.

So perhaps at this point we won't go as far as to say that Moses' departure was the deciding factor of Joshua receiving the 'spirit of wisdom', but we could say that this office is only meant to be held by one person at a time. Moses exits, Joshua enters.

For my long winded-ness, Elijah will have to be saved for the next post. It may be a more natural connection, as Elijah was taken into heaven much like Christ was.

No comments: